Saturday, September 18, 2010

NYC - Week 2 Recap

Hmm, not sure how I will keep up on blogging for my Asia trip. It's very time consuming. I haven't even really written a lot about NYC, and now that I am back in the Bay Area for a minute, I feel like it's past time to write about it. BUT, can't leave you hanging right? Here we go!

NYC week 2 for me was all about just relaxing, especially after doing so much and going out a lot the previous week. I got to see more friends and even family this week, which was really nice. A friend once said that the key to living in NYC is to get out of the city ever so often. Really good advice, because the highlights of the week were taking long subway rides out of Manhattan, namely to Coney Island and to the US Open out in Queens (sporting event? whaaa??).

So...

Highlight #1 - Coney Island!!!

Coney Island

So glad I made it there with my girls, Jaizi and Kim! Couldn't have asked for a better crew to hang out with at this magical place. We aimed to get there just before sunset, and I have to say it was very picturesque and charming at that time. Although rides were kind of expensive, we managed to ride the infamous Cyclone and the Wonder Wheel, two must-dos if you are ever there. (The rides are part of different amusements parks, so you can't really buy discounted package tickets for these two rides.)

Coney Island

Coney Island

The Wonder Wheel was great! Make sure you go on a swinger car, because as the wheel turns during the ride, your car will slide down these rails and swing back and forth. Way better than a ferris wheel. I loved Jaizi's reaction...she made us all scream like little girls whenever our car moved.

Coney Island

Coney Island

The Cyclone was keraaaazzzy! I haven't been on a roller coaster in years! I'm glad I went on it this year, because had I been a year or two older, I am pretty sure I would have had a heart attack or serious whiplash. The drops were very steep and the ride in general was pretty rough and rocky, but SUPER FUN! I sat in a seat by myself (Jaizi and Kim were in the row behind me), and that ride flung me around side to side so many times, I don't even remember where I sat to begin with. I hope they never tear this ride down.

Coney Island

Coney Island

Coney Island

Highlight #2 - Going to the US Open

I'm not a tennis fan at all, but my friend Jason was in town and found cheap tickets on craigslist, so I thought, why not go check it out. It's not something I would do on my own; plus it was an opportunity to get out of town.

The US Open itself was an experience. It was interesting to see the people who went. Some people were really dressed up, while others were super casual. But Polo shirts were EVERYWHERE. We did not really sit in the stadium for a game very long. We had nosebleed seats, but we managed to watched a good chunk of the men's doubles match.

IMG_0235

IMG_0238
*the one shot of get of the court and there are no players on it!

IMG_0252

I had more fun taking photos outside of the arena.

IMG_0240

IMG_0246

My favorite thing about this highlight really was taking the 7 Subway from Manhattan to Queens. It was nice getting to see other parts of NYC. There was an awesome block of graffiti along the ride.

IMG_0259

IMG_0260

IMG_0263

Only regret was not going to Flushing for Asian food after. We were only one stop away. Golden Mall, I will find you some day!

Highlight #3 - Not Getting Bed Bugs!

I stayed at a hotel a couple nights, went to a movie theater, took a bus to Boston, and was in a lot of public spaces. Happy to report, no bed begs. I survived!

And now, on to get ready for my Asia trip. I am leaving on Monday night and am starting to pack. What to pack...what to pack...

1 comment:

Rachel P said...

Coney Island is the world's best! So glad you made it there. Did you eat at Nathan's?! I wish I could have been in NYC with you!
xoxo
r