Monday, September 6, 2010

NYC - Eats

My favorite thing about New York is all the food options here. Not only is the food good, but sometimes surprisingly cheap as well. Here are the standouts so far:

IMG_0079

Magnolia Bakery - Key Lime Cheesecake

This bakery (of Sex in the City fame) is known for their cupcakes, but this little Key Lime Cheesecake was calling my name. It was pretty darn good. Not too dense or overly rich, with a hint of key lime. I sucked on the lime a little bit - bad idea.

IMG_0080

IMG_0081

Hampton Chutney - Masala Deluxe Dosa

This is it! This is my new favorite dish. It is a cross between a crepe and an injera (Ethiopian spongey bread), filled with yummy goodness. The Masala Deluxe had spinach, jack cheese and roasted tomato, and it came with your choice of chutney (we had cilantro - very refreshing). I shared one with my friend, so it was a perfect light dinner, but I could have easily eaten the whole thing. It was THAT good. Now I am going to have to find a dosa place in the Bay Area.

IMG_0104

Soba-ya - Yuba Sashimi and Zaru Soba

Wow. One word: Fresh. My friend told me this place is best known for their hand-made noodles, and they did not disappoint. We started off with a few appetizers, but the Yuba Sashimi was outstanding. I could not believe how soft the tofu was. It was like silk. And my Zaru Soba was excellent. Very simple, just topped it off with Nori seaweed. So delicious!

IMG_0137

IMG_0136

Wah Mei Pork Chop Fast Food - Fried Chicken and Rice

I came here two visits ago. Sad I didn't get to eat this last time I was here, but made a trip this time around. Total hole-in-the-wall spot (barely any seating), but dang, this food is so good. Special super tasty gravy sauce with pickled vegetables over rice, little bit of cabbage, plus an egg on the side...mmmm. And the chicken leg? Nice crisp on the skin and the meat was moist. Yes, they are known for their pork chop, but please, try the chicken.

And that was Round 1 of NYC eats. More to come...

2 comments:

Katie said...

Yum Town! That keylime tiny pie looks sooo good! I think I have had one of those dosas... I think at Taste of India in the U-district! Keep *eating* fascination... hee hee xoxoxo

Rachel P said...

OMG! Me and E used to go to Soba-Ya all the time when we were first dating! Love that place. So glad you're hitting all the hotspots, lady. Miss you.