Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hello From Hong Kong!

Whew, it is humid here! I missed the typhoon by a couple days, but the humidity is still lingering. There's the option of running into freezing AC buildings, although I hope I do not get sick from the jumping temperatures (*knock on wood*).

So, the back-story...I'm staying in Hong Kong at my Step-mom's place and using it as a hub between my travels to Japan and SE Asia for the next couple months. I will be in HK for about a week at a time for a total of 3 weeks. I have some family here, a friend who is visiting from Seattle for 5 days, and my Dad here for a couple weeks, but most of the time I will most likely explore on my own. This is my third visit to Hong Kong. Last time I was here in 2002, but it was part of a tour, so I didn't really get to take time and travel how I would like to. On this visit, I'm hoping to explore more parts of HK (other than the tourist spots), get to know my family better here, and practice my Cantonese (doing ok so far).

....My first day went pretty well. Didn't suffer much from jet lag at all (thanks to these no-jet-lag pills Katie gave me from our Europe trip), so after getting in at 6:30am, I took a short nap and was ready to hit the town with my Dad. My Step-mom had to work, but since it was the day of the Mid-Autumn/Moon Festival, she could leave work early (as in 4pm. Normally, she works until 9pm!). In the meantime, we met up with my dear cousin, Elisa, for an afternoon break in the Sheung Wan district, right by her office building. I had the shui gow dumplings with egg noodles, and of course, Hong Kong-style tea.

IMG_0381
Dad on the MTR (subway)

IMG_0387
Cousin Elisa

IMG_0384
My shui gow dumplings+noodles and HK tea

After that, my Step-mom picked us up and we headed over to Tsim Sha Tsui to have dinner with her good friend, Joann. We walked along the waterfront before dinner, and saw Hong Kong Island from the Kowloon side.

Kowloon Hotel/Penninsula Hotel
Peninsula Hotel and Kowloon Hotel Buildings

Bruce Lee
Bruce Lee statue along the waterfront

Cuttlefish Time!
Step-mom, May, and Dad, Peter, getting grilled cuttlefish at the waterfront

Hong Kong Island
Hong Kong Island

Hong Kong Island
Hong Kong Island

After dinner, we made our way over to Tin Hau for the Lantern and Fire Dragon festival. Photos and more to come on next post!

2 comments:

Justin Chin said...

Sweet you're doing all the cool things I told you to do on your trip, hang out with family, eat like a mofo, and overheat that camera. I had hong kong tea for the first time a couple months ago and could not sleep that night. Geez what do they put in there? Also sweet, with minimal internet access at work I can still see your blog so keep em comin boss. Miss you.

ewo said...

Seriously? You only had it for the first time? How many times have I eaten at Hong Kong Bistro with you and you JUST had it? Ha! And nice, welcome to the 21st century...internets at work! Miss you too, Justo.