Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Nong Khai: Home For The Next 4 Weeks

After traveling for weeks at a time, I'm finally in one place for more than 6 or so days. I'm in Nong Khai, in the northeastern part of Thailand, along the Mekong River, and right across from Laos. I'm volunteering at Isara, a wonderful organization that holds after school English and computer classes for kids. (Visit the website... each visit raises $0.01!) I'll be doing a whole mix of things, from helping out in class rooms, maybe some designing, and pretty much anything the organization might need help with.

On my first day, I pretty much just sat in some classes and watched the other volunteer teachers. I helped one of them out by drawing pictures to accompany some words (that was fun, trying to draw "sky"). Yesterday, I helped out with teaching a computer class, but I didn't feel too confident in it just yet, having it been my first time. I'm sure it will get better as I gain my confidence. A group of kids can be intimidating!

Nong Khai reminds me of when I was in Masaya, Nicaragua. It's small town, not that developed, and the pace of life here is very relaxed, which I am enjoying a lot. Since the new school term does not start until the end of the month, we are not as busy at the moment (but that will pick up). The other volunteers have been great and super nice. I'm staying at the school (upstairs are 4 bedrooms), so part of me feels like I'm back in a college dorm :P

During one of our conversations, my age slipped out, and someone asked if this was where I thought I would be at this age...ha! I would have never ever thought I would be living in Thailand for a month, that's for sure. Pretty amazing. But I'm taking it all in...from the bike rides around town to run errands and to the kids coming in for a class or just to hang out...I can't believe I am here and doing this.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I'm sorry, but I can't resist saying it: YOU GO GIRL!! Anyway, you're awesome and so courageous for puttin yourself out there!

I'm so excited to see how your next month goes!!

xoxoxo

Rutsu said...

It's so nice to see you doing great!
We admire what you're doing :-)
When i see your writing and photos, i feel like talking to you! I like it xoxo

Always caring for you!
Rutsu

ewo said...

i know! i wish i could talk to you both. i have skype....my ID is just my yahoo ID, if either of you are on it. i would love to talk to you!

Florence said...

OMG! Erica, your trip is amazing! I'm so proud of you. Its admirable and awesome! can't wait until you're back.

xo
flo

Florence said...

SO awesome Erica. I love all your pictures and stories. I'm so proud of you (and jealous) that you're traveling to all these amazing places and experiencing life! AWEEESOME!